Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pink Party Cake

Matilda wanted a pink fairy princess party for her 4th birthday, so being the obliging mother that I am we tried out best.

She typically wants cupcakes for her birthday, and who can blame her, I seldom let a cupcake pass my way unscathed, but this year it was different.  She came up  and informed me that not only did she not want  cupcakes, but she wanted a big pink cake instead.



Several of Tilly's little friends have food allergies so didn't want to use milk or red/pink food colouring in the cake or icing.  I decided on a vanilla cake with Strawberry Icing to get the pink she desired.  We did a triple layer cake to give it that extra height.  I meant to take a picture of it sliced but was too in the moment with 10 four year olds wanting a piece that I forgot.



It was absolutely delicious, moist, and wonderfully pink.



 Vanilla Cake
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil) or 1/2 c oil 1/2 c applesauce or plain yogurt
1 cup buttermilk
(or 1 cup milk plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice- add acid to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)


Directions-
* In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
* Preheat oven to 350*F.
* Using an electric mixer add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds.  Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds.  Add vanilla and oil, continue beating.
* Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture.  Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk.  Beat until just combined.  Scrap down the side of the bowl.
* The batter will be thin.   Pour batter into prepared cake tins I used 9in ones as that is all I have.  
* Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 25-30minutes.
* Cool in pan up to 5 minutes, then remove from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
I doubled the recipe for a triple layer cake and used the leftover batter to make mini cupcakes.
I adapted this recipe from a cupcake one off Glorious Treats website.  She has LOADS of amazing looking things to make.  

Strawberry buttercream frosting
1 stick (125 g) butter softened
4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c strawberries purred with some chunks left
-beat butter until fluffy
-slowly add in powdered sugar, if it does you like it did me, even doing this slowly you'll end up with a white film
-add in mashed strawberries

More to come about the fairy party and our DIY projects involved :)


Do you have a typical birthday cake you eat?  If so tell me about it. . . 

1 comment:

Lori @ In My Kitchen, In My Life said...

I'd like to get your family's fudge birthday cake recipe sometime, Melaine. I've heard from one or two people that it's pretty wonderful. :)

I guess Samuel's Mississippi Mud Cake is just about my favorite cake. I also love this apple cake with caramel frosting Mom and I make (from Cecil Norman), and a pear spice cake with caramel frosting I do sometimes (a fave of Alyssa's). Really, though, I can enjoy most cakes just fine.