Wednesday, November 7, 2012

All things OZ

Australia is an amazing place.  Next week (November 16th)  we will have been here 6 years.  In so many ways it has flown by, and yet it doesn't feel that long ago that my knees were shaking as we were waiting in line at customs to walk through and meet the people and place we were dedicating the next few years of our lives too.

It has been the the most challenging and rewarding adventure of my life.  I remember, at the beginning of our time here,  Eddie and I would look at each other and say we can do anything for two years (which was our initial commitment).  Little did we know then that 6 years would quickly pass and here we would remain.

The next week and a half will be dedicated to our lives here in Australia.   People often ask us what are the things we like about Australia, and what are the major differences we notice.  It is not really the big things that make living here so different, those are the things that you are prepared for, it's more the 1000's of little things that really make you feel like you are living worlds away.

A couple of things I never get tired of seeing:


1.  It still surprises me to see colourful exotic birds flying outside our home, or around us when we are out at the park.


This is a red winged cockatoo


This handsome devil is a rainbow loorikeet

2.  I still find it fascinating that we get to see kangaroos and how plentiful they are around here.  As you drive to the shops you see them out lounging in fields like you would see deer back home.  I never get tired of watching them hop away either.



In all things Oz week what would you like to hear about?  Food?  More on animals?  Aussie slang?  The church here?  What brought us here?

1 comment:

video_nana said...

Melaine, I actually think we see kangaroos much more often when we're in Australia than we see deer here in the USA. It really is so neat to see them.
I love that our little Nat wants to "have" kangaroos in the song "Old MacDonald Has A Farm."
I love all of you and miss you so very much.