Friday, November 16, 2012

6 Years and counting. . . . .

November 16th, 2006 we arrived for our new life and work in Australia.

I still can easily recall the feelings as we packed up, sold off/stored all our worldly possessions, and loaded our suitcases.  We stood looking around our home, as we prepared to leave, experiencing both a sense of fear and uncertainty and an overwhelming sense of excitement. We were about to begin a life and ministry that we had both desired long before we knew each other, and that we had prayed for since being together.  We stood there knowing we were headed to a place we had never been, to live around people we had never met.  Ed was nervously fluttering around the house trying to remember all the last minute things he was sure he had forgotten.  My nerves wouldn't attack until later.

 As we made our way through customs my knees were shaking, and I was so nervous I could hardly speak.  Here we were, about to meet the people who would fill our lives for the next few years.  After we were cleared to enter the country, we manned our backpacks and our suitcases and began to head through the doors. Unfortunately,  that is when my bags became tangled and toppled over and Ed proceeded through doors, not knowing I was scrambling to get my stuff together.  After finally managing to reorganise everything,  I looked up and Eddie had disappeared, what was I going to do but but walk through those terrifying doors all by myself.  What a way to start our journey as a team :)   Luckily we were greeted by a wonderful, loving group of people.

Kangaroo Paws
 We originally had agreed to dedicating two years of our lives to the work here.   Little did we know then what adventures lay ahead, that 6 years later we would still be here, and that those people would be some of our dearest friends.  It has been the hardest, most rewarding thing we have ever done.

the barrenness that is the center of Australia


Our time here has taught both of us so many things.  I have learned the power of prayer, and seen God working in our lives and others around us.  I have learned patience.  I have learned what it means to be hospitable and to serve others (though I am a constant work in progress with these things).  We have dealt with the hardships of infertility issues, and were able to experience the joy of parenthood.  I have learned that I can do nothing through my strength alone but it's God that works through me.  I have learned that "home is wherever you plant your feet" and that nothing great comes without sacrifice.  I have discovered remarkable friendships from people of all ages and backgrounds.  I've learned that I am made of tougher stuff that I had imagined before.  I have learned to discover my faith and beliefs for myself not just because I have always done it that way.  I have learned that sometimes we have to take steps into the unknown to experience God's greatest blessings.

This is the sand outside Uluru, now you know why they call it the 'Red Center'.

 
 It has been an amazing and incredibly challenging 6 years.  I am so thankful for the sacrifices our families have made by us living so far away, the prayers that have gone up on our behalf (please keep them coming), and for the love, support, and encouragement we are blessed enough to experience working with this group of believers here.  We don't know where our lives will lead from here or how much longer we may stay in Australia, but we are thankful to God for the opportunity he has given us here and now.



1 comment:

Timothy Rosengarten said...

I can remember speaking with the both of you for the first couple of times over Skype. After months of Pleonast, it was so refreshing!

We are so glad that both of you continue to live lives full of faith. Your choices in life reflect your dependency on the Lord.

I am so thankfulGod is allowing us to do life together for the time we have here. Love y'all