Thursday, November 22, 2012

Fairy Princess skirt


Matilda's 4th birthday party was 'Fairy Themed".  Being the crafty DYI wannabe momma I am, I wanted to make her party unique using as small a budget as possible.  I had Matilda search through Pinterest with me (I know I'm starting her early aren't I), and we found several ideas for decorations and favours that she liked.  I'm not sure if it is the same in America as it is here in Australia because we didn't have children until we moved here, but it is standard to give gift bags/favours at birthday parties.  Instead of the standard bag of lollies (candy) we decided to give each girl a fairy skirt and headband to turn them into little fairies for the party then could be taken home as the gift.  

I love tulle tutu's and you can easily do this same skirt with tulle, but it cost around $8 a meter, and we had 12 little girls to make skirts for, so that made that idea out of our budget.  Instead I began looking around the house, and found heaps of leftover fabric from various projects, so we altered the design and instead of making tulle tutus we made fabric strip ones, and ended up decluttering lots of fabric I had lying around and not spending extra money. . . my kind of project.  


It gave a different look to the skirts, but they ended up being adorable on all the girls.

What you'll need:

Per skir (for approximately 3-5 year old):

1- 1 1/2 meters of ribbon

2 meters of fabric

(and in my case a wonderful sister who helped me make them)

The easiest way to cut the strips is to fold the fabric in half long ways multiple times.


 Next cut strips 2 inch strips.

Then unfold and cut these strips in half (or if you want them longer leave them as is because they will end up half the length.




 Next take your ribbon, measure about 10 inches in to leave room to tie a bow,

Fold strips in half, loop the loose ends around the ribbon and through the looped in, pull tightly, repeat with all the other strips.




 It is a GREAT skirt pattern because you can mix and match to suit your color scheme, use tulle or fabric, make them longer or shorter. In other words, very versatile, and most importantly the kids loved them.




Even Nate, he saw all of the girls dressing up and wanted to join in.  At least he came out roaring at everyone and whacking the ground with his fairy wand.


What has been one of your DIY projects that has come out great?  Any great party ideas to share?

3 comments:

Timothy Rosengarten said...

GET THAT DRESS OFF THAT BOY! hahahah!
The roar was awesome.

Jeans said...

great job- they're adorable!

Lori @ In My Kitchen, In My Life said...

How clever of you to do that!