Friday, October 12, 2012

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, Breaking the self-doubt cycle


On our last visit home, I was asked to speak for a small group of younger christian women.  I was told they were studying Psalms and I could cover anything.   The prospect was a bit overwhelming, where should I begin?

What topic was something that was personal to me and would be applicable to these young women who were mostly in their teens and early 20's?

As I was reading I came across:   

Psalm 139:13-14

For You formed my inward parts:  You knitted me together in my mother's womb.  I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvellous are your works. And that my soul knows very well.


I had prayed these scriptures many times before during both of my pregnancies, it gave me such comfort knowing that God was at work on my little people. Yet it struck me there that these scriptures had a different application that addressed something I found as a struggle and believe many other young women do as well.

Why can't I remember that I am fearfully and wonderfully made?  Why do girls have to struggle so much with this concept?  Why do we doubt the beauty that God has bestowed on each of us?  Why do I still struggle with this issue?  It may not manifest itself the same way it did when I was 18 but many of these insecurities still plague me today.

As I look at my own daughter who will be 4 in a few weeks I pray for wisdom in how to help her break that cycle.  I want her to be confident, to know she is beautiful (not in a self-absorbed haughty way but in an inside good person sort of way).  I want her not worry about about what other people think and if she "fits in".  I want her to care about people no matter what "group" they are in. I want her to enjoy being who she is and not conform to others expectations.  I don't want her plagued by the same insecurities.  Insecurities that led to behaviours I wish I hadn't done, judgements I wish I hadn't made, sin I wish I had avoided.



So how do we break this cycle?  How do we teach young girls to see and accept that God has made them each beautiful in different ways, that they are valuable and worthy, that others opinions, especially boys, don't make them who they are?


In the next post I'll look at some ideas and scriptures that I've put together on this topic, but I would love to hear your opinions!  Do you think this is a problem area for young women?  How do you as older women and mothers help to teach them differently?  

No comments: