Sunday, October 7, 2012

Feeling young again

I love the fair.  I love the food, the hustle and bustle, the lights, the shows, the carnie folk, the animals, now that I think of there isn't much I don't like about it.  My mouth starts watering even now thinking of the cinnamon donuts and grilled corn.

I love the weird little sideshows that you come across like the mouse circus below.  It just amazes me the different interest people have and what they dedicate their time and energy to.




It is the perfect opportunity to let the little kid in you burst forth and try something new.  This is much harder than it looks. . . . or maybe it is exactly as hard and awkward as it looks.

The fair is a perfect opportunity for the little people to get up close and personal with lots of different farm animals.  Nathan could hardly contain his excitement.  He was so enthralled he kept running from one stall to the next trying to cuddle up to everything.


Our little chicks aren't nearly this small anymore.  I miss their little cuddle down feathers but look forward to the upcoming eggs.


The camels were one of his favourites and I think he would have eagerly ridden one if he had been allowed.  Who am I kidding, I would too.  


Seeing the adorable cuddly little piglets made me want one.  Who hasn't watched the movie Babe and not had the inkling for a smart little porker to follow you around.  If only they stayed that precious. I just couldn't keep that mindset as I looked into the next pen at the gigantic sows.  Maybe pigs aren't for me.  Note the hand holding Nathan back, sometimes he is a little TOO affectionate.  

They were offering free face painting outside the dairy barn.  I begrudgingly gave up my place in line after I saw all the small children waiting patiently giving me the evil eye (or was that my imagination).  The upside was that it was free (few things in Australia are), the downside was, since it was at the dairy barn, they were only painting cow related pictures.  Now look closely. . . .What do you see?  


A Unicow!!!!!!  That's right.  The girls both wanted unicorns, so my sister in a pinch,  used her creativity and asked the painter if she would mind making Unicows for them instead. . . and low and behold, a new breed was created and everyone was happy.



I did say happy before. Don't be misled by the previous picture, the girls weren't so sure about what they were watching.  To be fair, it was a 8ft robot straight out of Terminator, he even freaked me out at first, that was until he talked.  


He was hilarious!! He sang, danced, cried on the crowd, cooed at the babies, and was thoroughly entertaining.  Ed wished he was darker, but I have to admit I was glad for silliness, otherwise I think I might have been having nightmares that night.



It was an amazing day together spent with my favourite people in the world.  As we left that night Tilly asked if we could go back the next day and I must admit I found myself wanting to relent.  It is something we look forward to each and every year, looking forward to next October and the Royal Show 2013.

Do you like the fair?  What's your favourite part?

No comments: