Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Breakfast: A healthier alternative

My children LOVE pancakes, 8 out of 10 mornings that is what Tilly and even Nate will ask/beg for.  You do get the occasional eggs and toast or porridge, but usually it's pancakes with surbup (that's how Nate pronounces syrup and I just think it's adorable).

They don't typically get to sit in front of the tv, it's a treat.  

I just couldn't bring myself to make the typical white flour, no nutrient ones for them so often.  They don't stick with you and I found the kids asking for something else to eat an hour later. We are trying to instil healthy eating habits with our kids.  We try to only have whole wheat bread, pasta, and flour around the house.   I searched online for a while, tried a few varieties and this one is one of my favourites.  If there going to eat pancakes at least have so hearty, healthy ones going in. They are filling and very tasty.   I typically make a big batch of these early one morning each week and there are enough left overs for 2-3 more breakfast, plus they freeze great.




 Tilly likes hers plain with a little honey to dip them in,  Nate loves his full of blueberries, and Ed and I love ours with nuts and berries.  You can also add pecans, bananas, different spices, etc  they are pretty versatile.



 They go wonderfully with a cup of coffee, they call that a plunger here.  I just can't bring myself to call it that, reminds me to much of the toilet.




Pancakes

1 1/2 c old fashioned oats
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
3 c buttermilk
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP apple sauce
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp (nutmeg, allspice, or I even like to throw in a little ginger)
1 tsp vanilla


-mix oats and buttermilk allow to soak while combining other ingredients
-mix all dry ingredients together
-beat eggs, and vanilla together
-add oat/buttermilk to dry ingredients along with eggs and apple sauce

-heat skillet add small tab of butter
-pour in mixture add fruit and nuts (whichever you prefer, i find blueberries and walnuts or pecans are wonderful!!!

Enjoy :)

3 comments:

raequin said...

I like making pancakes. I'll have to try your recipe. That coffee pot can also be called a French pot or something like that. I liked your other posts about the garden and the fair. The fair is one of my favorite things too. So they have them in October in Oz too? It might seem weird to attend one in the spring instead.

JDTS said...

Looks great! My fave new pancake discovery is 1 mashed banana and 2 eggs...that's it! Yum!

Melaine said...

I think it's French Press matt, we had one when I lived back home.

so is it just one banana and 2 eggs and nothing else? JDTS?