Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What's cooking at our house. . .

Lunch:
As it's getting to be cooler here (remember I'm in Australia so for you Americans are seasons are reversed) I like to do a big pot of soup at the beginning of the week and then eat on it for lunch every day.  I feel like it's a good way to have something warm and healthy each day, plus it's a great way to get those extra veggies in.

This weeks soup is the standard Vegetable, and while I like it, it's not the hubbies favourite.
Veggie Soup

1 lb or so of some sort of protein (sometimes I use mince aka ground chicken or turkey or heart smart beef) this week I used lentils instead
can of cream of mushroom soup
large jar of V8 juice
box of frozen spinach
can of diced tomatoes (or two)
2 bags of frozen veggies (i like to mix it up here, some big veggies and some smaller ones)
Season Salt
1 tsp (or more) diced red chilli pepper

-Soak lentils or saute meat if using that
-Combine all ingredients either in a large pot on the stove or a crockpot
-If on the stove bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 hours, if crockpot cook 3-4 hours on high setting

Yummy, healthy, lunch chock full of veggies.


No comments: