Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Warm deliciousness (aka Curry)

Last night I had my first experience with making an Indian curry.  I'll be the first to admit here that up until recently I wasn't a huge fan of Indian curries, or more like my stomach wasn't, but lately I have found a new love for them.  Last night we had a study with some friends and decided to all share a meal  together, you know one of those awesome meals where everyone contributes so you only have to cook one things but get to try several different ones. Our hostess decided it would be curries, which worked out perfectly because I have had a hankering lately to try my hand at one.

I can only begin to describe the deliciousness that greets you when you are cooking with all the wonderful spices that go into the curries.  On a cold rainy night (which is what it was last night)  the house just smelled so warm and inviting, talk about comfort food.  I have discovered Indian food works well with groups too because it can easily be made vegetarian or gluten free, hot or mild, whichever way you choose it is rich and warm and filling.

My experiment was a Chicken Korma and Naan, and I must say they turned out delicious.

I made the curry in the crockpot because I had a lot on yesterday and also was taking it over to someone else's home so thought it would travel better (another good thing about curries is that you can do them this way and they are just as good). You could also cook it in a large skillet at dinner, whichever is easiest, but as I did it in the crockpot that is how I'll write about it.


Chicken Korma ( I adapted this recipe from one of Jamie Oliver's from Ministry of food cookbooks)

1-2 lb of chicken diced
1 pkg slivered almonds (about 1/2 c)
1/2 butternut pumpkin (squash)  cut into large cubes
either 2 pkgs of korma mix (pre made) or 2 tbsp Korma paste (recipe to follow later) and I can of coconut milk
1/4 c water

plain yogurt
fresh cilantro (Coriander leaves) diced


-If you are doing it in the crockpot just throw it all in together and stir occasionally, I also only cooked it 3 hours on high, but if you wanted to leave it longer I would cook it on low and add a bit more water.
(if you are doing it in a skillet first cook your chicken and your pumpkin (same time or separate, then add in you curry sauce and slivered almonds and allow to simmer for about 10-20 minutes)
-Serve with saffron rice or brown rice and a big dollop of plain yogurt



Naan
2 cups whole meal flour or you can use chickpea flour
about 1/4 c luke warm water (add a TBSP at a time, may need more)
1 tsp salt

-mix flour and salt
-add in water until forms a smooth dough
-leave in warm spot for 10 minutes
-roll into 6 small balls
-use rolling pin and roll out flat
-heat TBSP of oil in skillet and cook 1-2 minutes per side
-serve immediately



We are repeating curries again the next time we meet in two week so I'll be experimenting once again. I'll let you know how it goes.  Now go try a curry :)

No comments: