Monday, May 14, 2012

A sweet tooth

I love desserts. Let's say that again I LOVE DESSERTS!!!!  I love seeing them, smelling them, cooking them, and of course eating them.  There isn't much that beats a nice warm gooey chocolate dessert on a cold evening, though I have to admit I am as big of a fan of fruit desserts as I am of chocolate.  If I'm honest, there are very few desserts that I'm not a fan of, I think I draw the line at flan/custard like desserts (it's a texture thing, I know I'm weird) but usually I'll even give them a go just to see.  I try to refrain from making desserts except when we are having company or going to someone else's home or else I would eat the whole thing.  I had just the excuse the other night and was definitely in the mood for chocolate, something warm, rich, nutty and scrumptious.

(note: I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures of the things I make, it's on the list of ways to improve)

So I made for the first time:

Ooeey Gooey Caramel Brownies


  • 1 box (18.5 Ounce) German Chocolate Cake Mix (I Used Duncan Hines) you can use Devils Food cake this will just give you a richer sweeter flavour 
  • 1 cup Finely Chopped Pecans (toasted beforehand is best)
  • 1/3 cup Evaporated Milk 
  • 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (additional) or you can use heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
  • 60 whole Caramels, Unwrapped (if you can't find these you can used the tinned caramel filling or make your own caramel)
  • 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or dark chocolate (i usually lean for dark chic myself)
  • 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar (optional i actually left this off and just ate it with ice cream.  



Mix the cake mix, nuts, 1/3 c evap milk (or cream if you are using that) together, will be a thick mixture.
-spray a 9 in springform pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with baking paper
-push half of cake mixture into bottom and bake on 150 degrees Celsius or 350 F for 8 min
-if cooking down caramels combine them and cream and double boiler until melted then pour over cooked cake, then cover with choc chips
-flatten out the rest of cake mix and cover top (i just did it in small pieces and patted it out
-bake another 20 minutes
-remove and let cool
-serve with a good vanilla bean ice cream


Go Make some now, you will not be disappointed, they are delicious, even left over they are awesome!!!!  

No comments: