Monday, January 14, 2013

I say tomato they say . . . .

I was thinking as I was scanning my last post, that it might seem strange that here we are eating nice fresh salads.   We are cooking anything we can on the BBQ outside, so as not to heat up the kitchen, while most of my family and friends that are probably reading this are in the throws of winter.  In winter I want something warm and comforting, something filling and hearty, you won't find that here for a while, not until June or July.  But it's no wonder my New Years diets never worked before relocating to the southern hemisphere.


It is not winter here, it is summer and it's HOT!!!  When it's hot I don't typically want to think about warm food.  I want something light, something fresh.


Bask in the glory of our delicious summer tomatoes..



We have been harvesting fresh tomatoes out or little side garden since just before Christmas.  Tomatoes are the perfect summer food for me, I eat several almost every day.  I like them roasted, in salads, chopped up with a little salt and pepper, in a sandwich with some quality mayo, diced in an omelette, a current favourite is layered on a rice cake with avocado and smoked salamon.

While I will eat a tomato almost any ole way, one of my favourites, when I can muster up the energy to make it, is in a tomato basil pie.

Even though this is not currently on the diet, it is one of my favourite recipes from my mother-in-law, and for some reason taste even better when you know it's made from things you grew yourself like the tomatoes and basil.  

My crust isn't nearly as pretty as my MIL she has a gift, but around here looks are secondary to being incredibly flaky, nothing compares to homemade piecrust delicious.  

You take said pie crust, that let's be honest, I could eat all by itself with no filling, then throw in some home-grown Roma tomatoes.
The before
 Top with a mixture of mayo, mozzarella, parmesan, and fresh chopped basil.

Bake and waa laa . . . .
The after
 Mouth-watering goodness.  It's the perfect summer dinner right out of the garden.  The kiddos loved this and asked for more.  It's not even that terrible for the diet unless you are like me and eat half the pie :).

I actually think I was drooling as I took this picture.
Tomato-Basil Pie

1 recipe of your favorite pie crust, or frozen prepared pie crust for one 9  inch (25 cm) pie
4 to 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick
1/4 cup (60 ml) roughly chopped basil leaves  I use more, I love me some basil 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup (375 ml) mayonnaise
1  cup shredded cheese
1/2 shredded Parmesan 

Bake the pie crust empty in a 350F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, then allow  to cool. Put approximately 1/4 c cheese in the bottom of the pie.  Layers tomatoes over it. Repeat until the pie is filled to about 1/2 inch (1 cm) to 1/4 inch (5 mm) of the rim. Mix the mayonnaise, basil, shredded cheese and parmesian  together and spoon over the tomatoes, spreading it evenly over the contents of the pie. Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. 
Serves 4 to 6.




The recipe has made it's round on a few blogs I follow and I couldn't help but share it here as well.  Make it, it's delicious, you won't regret it, I promise!!

How do you like your tomato, any great recipes you have up your sleeves?


2 comments:

Lori @ In My Kitchen, In My Life said...

You're killing me!!! We're, what? Seven months away from homegrown tomatoes???? Ah, well, I suppose I do the same to you in August and September. Enjoy your stinkin' delicious tomatoes. :)

Mom sometimes make the TomBas Pie without the crust when she's feeling virtuous. Says it's not bad.

Laura said...

I am happy to have a main course on the table. Vegetables are a rare bonus. How do you manage to do it? Well, you're just more natural in the kitchen than I am. Also, I have a picky eater. That doesn't mean I won't make new things, but I can't get excited about it.