Sunday, January 6, 2013

Expanding my horizons

I have wanted to venture forth into preparing some Asian cuisine.  We are blessed to live in an area that has an amazing selection of Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Malaysian, and a variety of other places to eat.  Places that offer authentic cuisine prepared by people actually from the countries.

While I do enjoying dining out at these different places, the foodie in me really wanted to try it myself.

Friday night was the night.  We invited a few friends over for the culinary experience (one is an apprentice chef--always good to know one of these).

This is Ayden the apprentice chef, he's got some pretty impressive chopping skills.

It was so great, and so much fun working together and then getting to enjoy the fruits of our labor, a great alternative to our typical dinner parties.

We chopped together.





Each created different sushi rolls. 



 Ok you can tell we are a novices.  


Ayden fried up the the prawn cakes while we were rolling up the sushi.


There that looks a bit more professional right?  


I did plate up this one, go me!

After we had our fill of entree's they taught me how to make Katsu chicken, and chopped Asian salad with chilli dressing.  These are a few things that will be on rotation at our house from now on.  


The plating up was all Ayden's doing, I am hopeless at that.  

I loved getting to work with other people who love trying new things as much as I do!  


On the menu:
Sushi --prawn, smoked salmon, raw King George whiting

Prawn cakes

Katsu Chicken with Asian salad including a chilli dressing
(if you want any recipes just let me know)




It was a great night of working together (well us helping Ayden how we could).  Have you ever hosted a cook together dinner party, if so what kind?





3 comments:

Lori @ In My Kitchen, In My Life said...

Looks terrific! Katsu chix recipe, please. (I was able to open the comment box in a new window. That's how you see this.)

video_nana said...

Oh, I want the recipe too - looked like a fun evening!

Melaine said...

Do you just want the chicken or the chicken and salad?