Thursday, January 3, 2013

Adapting to survive

Living in Australia I've had to adapt my cooking a bit.  There are just some things that you can't find here.  I try to find substitutes, or even bring my favorite things back with us when we make our trips home, but somethings wouldn't exactly make the 30+ hour flight and still be edible.

I <3 a="a" cappuccino="cappuccino" good="good" nbsp="nbsp" td="td">


Breakfast sausage patties are one of those things for me.  A yummy cooked breakfast ranks up there as my favorite meal of the day.  I admit I can be fussy, I'm not really a cereal kind of girl, I would rather a cooked breakfast or nothing at all. I have been known to slum it every once in a while with a bowl of cereal but it's just not my thing.

 My staple breakfast is two eggs and a piece of toast, but seeing as we are trying to cut the carbs around here I have been making omelets loaded with veggies instead.

While I am a fan of the omelet, especially ones decked out with cheese and sauted capsicum and onion, a good sausage patty with some fresh tomatoes and feta cheese make a Wonderful summer brekky.


You can't find breakfast patties here, at least not anywhere I have looked, much to my chagrin.  My wonderful sister encouraged me to not sit idly by, wishing for what I don't have, but to venture forth and make my own. Duh, why hadn't I thought of that?  Since this glorious revelation  I have tried a few recipes and really like this one.


Breakfast sausage

 Ingredients:
2 lbs of ground pork(I try to use free range)
1 tablespoon of sage
2 teaspoons of marjoram
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Doesn't look too appetising now, but will soon produce yummy goodness.
Method:
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Form into patties and fry approximately six minutes on each side.
Keeps in the refrigerator for a week. or do what I do and freeze them in baggies of 4 and just thaw when you feel the desire hit you.

Even though our pork mince is leaner here which makes them a bit drier, this still puts up a pretty tasty breakfast.





What's your favorite breakfast?  Do you eat something different ever day or you a slave to morning routine and go with the same ole same ole like me?  

1 comment:

A said...

Yum! That looks good! And sounds way healthier than anything store bought!

P.S. I keep on trying to follow your blog, but I can't figure out how to set up the email alerts. I *may* have gotten it this time!